Organisation DesignFacilitate a proven process to implement a new organisation design
Organisation Design is often done poorly and in secret by just a few people, due to its sensitivity. However, this cloak and dagger approach does not build support for implementation.
We have discovered, through experience, a way to address organisation design sensitively in a way that builds support.
Organisation design is the most politically sensitive content in improvement and requires strong leadership and a substantial degree of transparency.
There are many books and organisational models, all of which lack practical instruction on how to make these models a reality. Therefore, here we have focused on the process that’s required to build support and realise the new organisational design.
To provide sufficient guidance on the practical “how to” process of developing an accepted organisation design. We use a 7 D process –
- Debate – unfiltered leadership debate the magnitude, architecture, realities and hot spots regarding Organisation design.
- Design – musts, wants, diagnosis issues etc. are expressed as principles and become the central hub for debate and revision. This avoids entrenchment, caused by “boxes and wires diagrams”, until principles exhausted.
- Diligence – testing of designs against core/ non core activities is methodically completed to debug and eliminate flawed ideas.
- Depth – ways of working, specifics of roles, sizing is examined realistically by people who have experience of the roles.
- Delve – industry body research, bench marking and best practice are utilised to provide reassurance and provoke contrast.
- Definitions – of new roles are completed to industry standards wherever possible.
- Delivery – selection, recruitment, staffing, induction and development plans are created at an early stage to ease transition.
The benefits from this Organisation Design process are
- Fear and defensiveness caused by secrecy is eliminated.
- Entrenchment caused by too quickly sharing a new “organogram” is avoided.
- Principle based discussion is maximised and empire protection and “land grabbing” are minimised.
- Overall time to a functioning new organisation is reduced.
OrgZoo is an education, method and consulting support service for large organisations who must implement improvements. We focus primarily on defining, designing and delivering the behavioural modifications required from people to realise benefit from the improvement effort. Then we provide the practical tools to help leaders navigate the improvement journey.